What to Do When the Other Driver Isn’t Insured

If you’re in a car accident with another motorist that is uninsured or underinsured, it may create even more hassle. Being knowledgeable about car insurance policies can help you to ensure that you receive the proper compensation for your damages.

Uninsured Coverage

If you happen to have an accident with an uninsured driver, you’ll have to go to your insurance company to cover any damages. Uninsured motorist coverage, or UM, is insurance that covers you when you are involved in a car accident with an individual that does not have car insurance. It also protects you if the other motorist is at fault for the accident. Though, it’s required by most state laws that drivers have insurance, some motorists are driving without insurance and this is one way to protect yourself and your car.

Underinsured Coverage

Similar to uninsured coverage, having underinsured coverage (UIM coverage) can help you recover damages when you are in a car accident with a driver who has a policy that does not cover compensation for damage and injuries.

It’s best to file a claim immediately with your car insurance company. Many insurance companies limit the time that the policy holder has to file a claim.

Questions About a Car Accident?

If you need assistance with your car accident claim, contact the attorneys at Barnett, Bennett & Scott, LLP. Our law firm takes the unique approach of having all of our attorneys look over and offer their guidance on all of our cases. This way we can all work together to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries or loss.

Fairfield Personal Injury Attorneys: Types of Insurance

Understanding the Multiple UM/UIM Policies Case

In an earlier post, we talked about how “non-stacking” uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage means you have less coverage than you think. Unfortunately, this same “non-stacking” rule applies even when there are multiple UM/UIM policies — with some additional quirks.

Let’s use an example.

You were the passenger in a crash caused by an uninsured driver. The driver of your car has a $30,000 UM policy. You also have a $15,000 UM policy on your own auto insurance. (more…)

UIM Coverage: Why You Have Less Than You Think

California uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is deceptive. There is a good chance even your insurance agent doesn’t clearly understand how it works. And you almost certainly need more of it than you currently have.

The reason? Your UM/UIM insurance coverage is “non-stacking” — in other words, it only gives you coverage up to a combined total maximum benefit of your policy limit.

A rational person would expect that having $30,000 in UM coverage would mean you have an additional $30K, after you’ve used up the other driver’s policy limits (this is called “stacking”). But that’s not the case. Instead, your insurance is allowed to deduct the other driver’s policy limits before they pay you anything. (more…)

Picking the Right Auto Insurance

Being in an automobile collision is often one of the worst experiences a person goes through. This experience is even worse when there is not enough insurance to pay for all of the injuries and suffering that result from the crash. At the Barnett, Bennett & Scott LLP, we have dealt with thousands of people who have been involved in auto collisions. Many of these people cannot get all of the help they deserve because of inadequate insurance or the wrong type of insurance. Many times people tell us that they have “full coverage” believing that they are adequately protected. In reality there is no such thing as “full coverage.” Make sure you know the details of your auto insurance policy rather than just believing that you are “fully covered.” (more…)

Quick Contact

To help you get started, please fill out the form below and click submit – or if you prefer, call our office at: 707.425.0671

  • captcha

Barnett, Bennett & Scott LLP.

712 Empire Street,
Fairfield, CA 94533

P: 707.425.0671