Cycling continues to increase in popularity as a cheap and healthy transportation option. Statistics published by the League of American Bicyclists shows that at least two California cities have more than 10,000 regular cyclists. Unfortunately, California also has a high number of bicycle accidents each year. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 129 fatal bicycle accidents in California during 2015 – more than every state except Florida.
There are several ways you could be in a bicycle accident while cycling in California. Common causes of accidents include:
- Distracted driving: A motorist could strike your bicycle if they are text messaging or checking email while driving. Distracted drivers are less likely to spot cyclists in time to avoid collisions. Motorists who are eating, applying makeup or fidgeting with the radio are also more likely to hit cyclists.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Marijuana, prescription medications and alcohol impair the ability to operate a vehicle. Impaired drivers cause bicycle accidents in California and across the country.
- Dooring occurs when a passenger door opens in front of a cyclist. You could be thrown from your bicycle and seriously injured if a door opens in front of you with no warning. Dooring accidents are more common in urban areas, and even in bicycle lanes.
- Bicycles may suffer from manufacturing or design defects. Some defects may cause accidents. Safety equipment could also suffer from defects that keep them from working properly during an accident.
- Poor visibility: Motorists are more likely to hit you while cycling in areas with poor visibility. Some areas may have poor lighting or a large number of blind spots.
- Right and left turns at intersections: Right-hook accidents can occur when vehicles make right turns in front of cyclists who are travelling in a straight line. Left-hook accidents can occur when motorists turn left in front of cyclists at an intersection.
Questions About Bicycle Accidents? Contact Our Fairfield Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bicycle accidents may lead to life-altering injuries that require rehabilitation and other medical services. You or your loved one may be unable to return to work as a result of the injury. After a bicycle accident, it is important to speak with an attorney to determine your options for securing compensation that can help pay these expenses.