The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that car accidents are responsible for more than two million injuries in the US each year. Although some car accidents result in minor injuries that resolve without much effort, others can devastate the lives of survivors and their families. Survivors may require long hospital stays, rehabilitation services and an extended absence from their jobs. In cases that involve catastrophic injuries, accident survivors may never recover.
Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible for survivors with these injuries or their family members to secure compensation from the responsible parties. Money from a settlement or verdict could help pay for expenses that are associated with severe injuries.
How Can an Attorney Help My Car Accident Claim?
There are multiple reasons why it is important to hire an attorney after you or a loved one were injured in a car accident. An attorney could help in ways that include:
- Investigating the cause of the wreck: Experienced attorneys are familiar with investigating motor vehicle accidents. They know where to look for evidence that could show fault. Some law firms even work with accident reconstruction specialists to achieve these ends.
- Preserving evidence: An attorney can help you preserve crucial evidence. In some cases, the at-fault parties may be guilty of spoliation (intentionally or unintentionally), which could alter or erase crucial evidence.
- Taking depositions: During discovery, your attorney could take depositions from witnesses or other experts. Depositions could help build a case against the party or other parties who may be responsible for causing the wreck.
- Helping you avoid mistakes: There are mistakes you could make after an accident that could put your ability to recover adequate compensation in jeopardy. For example, talking to the other driver’s insurance company. An attorney can advise you on what not to do after an accident.
- Helping you communicate: Various people will want to speak with you after an accident. Insurance companies, health care providers or even an attorney hired by the other driver may try to speak with you. Your attorney could facilitate communications with these individuals to help protect your interests.
- Helping you negotiate a settlement: Your attorney could help you negotiate a settlement with the at-fault parties or their attorneys. In addition, your attorney could take the case to trial if necessary.
We have only discussed a few examples of why an attorney can help with your car accident claim. Ultimately, an attorney can provide you with a better of chance of recovering the resources you or your family member could need after being injured in an accident.
Our attorneys can provide you with a free consultation that could help you determine your legal options. To speak with one of our Solano County car accident attorneys, please call (707) 425-0671 or describe what happened on our case review form.